Edited version…I can be geographically challenged sometimes. ;) A cay is a cay is a cay. Right?
Last night (Feb 23rd) we anchored at the first place we anchored when we entered the Bahamas just over 2 months ago. Time really flies!
Since my last post much has happened, been planned…and changed.
The Almonds went home and I can’t believe we didn’t get a single picture of them. Amber had her camera out a lot so maybe I can borrow some of her photos for the blog. Much fun was had while they visited. There was lunch at The Harbours Edge and bingo at Jacks. Side note: I can not stress enough that you have to get there early on bingo night, people! It is no ones fault but your own if there are not enough chairs for your party! I’m just sayin’. Caroline is such a joy. The parents aren’t too bad either…though we would like to request that Peter cease bringing poor weather with him when he visits.
A mass exodus was made when the Almonds left. That might have been due to the change to bright, sunny, warm weather that arrived on the day they left. Hmmmmm…who knows. We made a stop off at Marsh Harbour for a few errands (and this wonderful BaTelCo SIM card that has provided us with interweb even out here is the middle of nowhere). The first night we anchored in Fishers Bay on Great Gauna Cay with Ankers Away. Then we continued through the Whale to Manjack Cay. Next night, Powell Cay. Next night, Allans-Pensacola Cay.
At this point our plans were to say so long to them so they could head back to The States and we were going to hang in the northern cays for a week or so before crossing to the SC/NC area. What is it they say? A sailor’s plans are written in sand below the high watermark? Yep. We heard from Chris Parker that after this current favorable weather window (Monday-Wednesday) that there would be a change to westerly winds for a week!!! For those that don’t know this, and I didn’t before coming here, westerlies are BAD in most of the Bahamas. They will cause mass hysteria among boaters who will find themselves bent over chart books and motoring full blast towards the few harbors that can handle it (Hope Town being one of them). At this point, we reevaluated where we were, where we wanted to be, what we wanted to be doing…all our options. We decided that being able to move around in Florida trumped sitting in a harbor, possibly a marina, in the Bahamas.
So now our new plans (and all shows that these plans will stick) are to cross tomorrow (Monday) and aim for St Mary’s Inlet. We will then take our time and see the parts of GA we skipped coming down. I think it is a good compromise.
Currently at Double Breasted Cay for a lunch anchor (and Jay changed the zincs out) and then Grand Cay tonight.
My next post should be from Stateside if all goes well.